Thursday, March 28, 2013

Calendar Girls ~ Old School

 
It is the 28th of the month, so I am here to welcome you to another round with the Calendar Girls!

Who are the Calendar Girls? We are a group of bloggers who want to have a place where friendships blossom, creativity abounds, and encouragement prevails! In keeping with that dream, this blog group has been created so we will have a place to interact and enjoy being fellow bloggers. 

Tami is our hostess this month and true to her previous challenges--she made this month interesting..................  This is what she wrote for us to follow:   
Um, I hope I do not hurt anyone's feelings here but we are all a little bit of paper hoarders!!!

Well, we are going to have to give up the security blanket for March. I would like to see your best created card with NO designer paper. *gasp*.....*thud* {I think J just hit the floor}.

So go ahead and grab your 'old school stamps' - yep, like a set you have not used in years - and create a card for the Calendar Girls.

Oh, and let's try to keep in theme with 'use what'cha got', please no new purchases for this round. Use what'cha got...well, everything but designer paper that is!

I cannot wait to see what my friends come up with. It is always something to look forward to!

This was a fun card for me to make.  First--not using designer paper is a bit of a challenge for me--however I did go "old school" and used a background stamp and heat embossed the background.  Gasp--I do not remember the last time I did this!  I did not use an "old stamp"--but I did use a stamp that was not a new purchase as it was gifted to me by one of our own calendar girls Kelly.  She remembered that I played saxophone in high school and when she saw this set in a store, she thought of me and bought it to send to me.  I love the stamp set! So--since I played saxophone back in high school--I think that fits as "old school"...............................  Right Jeanette!

Image/Sentiment—TPC Studio Music

Cardstock—Gina K White, Lipstick Red, Black

Ink—Versamark; SU Real Red

Accessories—SU Punches; Black Embossing Powder; Red Satin Ribbon, Red Brads

Please check out the blogs of all of the Calendar Girls—there are 10 of us, so it might take you a bit.   I am sure you will enjoy all of the creations inspired by "Old School ideas"  ! All of the blogs are listed on my left sidebar. Thanks for joining us!



13 comments:

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

Yes, Barb... for you, High School is very VERY OLD school! ;)

And your card! WOW!!! It's gorgeous! When I first saw it I thought, well, pfft! Barb used DP... but nope! You made your own.

I think you did a fabulous job!

Thanks for being a Calendar Girl!

Terry Ladwig said...

Wow Barb, your card is great! Love the embossed background and it actually does look like DP! Very crafty!

Love the color scheme and the theme of the card! Great way to represent you in your creation!

Love it ☺

Darlene said...

Oh I just love this!! What a unique stamp set, how sweet of Kelly to send it to you. Love the black & red combo and the embossed background stamp is right up my alley! I do that technique often! Lovely card, Barb!

Laura said...

This is so elegant Barb, and I love your "homemade" designer paper. I would never have guessed it wasn't printed! It looks fabulous!

April said...

Beautiful! So daring to heat emboss such a huge area! Wow!
What a wonderful card you made using a set from a wonderful friend!

dweatter said...

Brilliant card! Love the colors and you did such a great job embossing the background. I make such a mess when I emboss. Love the embellishments and how they "pop" off the card.

Unknown said...

lovely card barb, I have only just started stamping, and I do make quite a few mistakes, but I will keep trying as I love it,
Hugs
Suzy B :)
xxx

Melina said...

OH my this is so cute! I love the black and red together. :)

MiamiKel said...

Aw, your post just warmed my heart! I"m so glad you were able to put to good use this fabulous stamp set - It just said "barb!" LOVELY card, so dramatic with the red with the b/w - stunning work and way to work this challenge!

Thank you for the birthday wishes!

Blessed that you are a Calendar Girl! x0x0

Linda said...

Oh yeah, I remember embossing, have to give that a try again someday. I love the elegance of the black/white/red. The saxaphone caught my eye as that is the instrument my 9 year old is hoping to conquer in fifth grade. Great card, as always.

~Paola~ said...

wowww....what a gorgeous and elegant card...love your colors combo ,so rich and vibrant w/the red...this sure's a winner!!

Carol W said...

Oh my goodness Barb, another stunning creation...This is a great card. I love it. You really nailed this challenge...well done my friend, well done...♥

:: BlueInks :: said...

Okay Miss Kenny G...I mean Miss Barb! Who knew?! ;)

I love this. Great combination of the stamp sets to create the perfect card. So sweet of Kelly to think of you.

Of course, those were my high school colors! I think that I had to play a plastic flute thing to get a grade once. It was a pitiful, ear wrenching time!